By Jeremy Stevent
If you are thinking you might want to design your own house, what do you need to do before you get started? Designing a house is a big project and you need to stay organized to insure you don’t get off track. Here are some steps you should take right from the beginning:
1) Look around at other houses to get a general idea of what you want. We have all driven by a house and said to ourselves “what a cool house, I wish that were mine!”. Try to find houses that have features you like so you can get a general idea of what you want. If you do find that cool house somewhere, stop your car and knock on the door. You might be able to let the owner give you a quick tour!
2) Look through as many home books and real estate magazines as you can. Again, this is to get ideas of what you like and don’t like. It always helps to see a real picture of something you like rather than just having the idea in your head.
3) Try to get get input from all family members to find out what they might want. By including family members, including the children, you get everyone involved and make everyone feel like they are part of the project. Designing your own house can be great fun if you involve everyone.
4) Once you have a few ideas, you can use an inexpensive 3D computer program to see them on your computer. With today’s technology, you can now actually see your ideas come to life in 3D and have a much better idea of what they will look like in real life. Many of these computer software programs can be bought for under $100.00 and saves you from having to pay an architect the big bucks to draw up your house plans.
5) Once you have decided on a house plan, you will need to take it to an architect for some suggestions and modifications. He/she will be able to answer most of your questions that the 3D software could not such as a ballpark figure of costs.
These are some of the basic steps you can take to get started designing your own house. Remember, this is a big project which requires a lot of commitment from you. Many people start out to design their own house and realize it is just too much work. Taking these steps will give you a better idea of whether you are up for the challenge!
Read more great ideas on designing your own house at my website Design Your Own House.