Maintenance should not be an area of worry with a sauna. The amount of maintenance required for either a traditional or infrared sauna is very little if any. The only real maintenance needed is to wipe down the walls and benches every so often with a mild solution of water and soap. Regular sauna maintenance is like maintaining any other room in your house. In actual fact saunas are easier to maintain than most bathrooms.
Owning a traditional sauna requires more maintenance than that of an infrared sauna.
The one thing to avoid in a sauna is chemical cleaners. The residues from these cleaners may be released when the sauna is heated. This can cause unpleasant smells and in extreme cases it may affect your breathing. Most of the maintenance needs to be done in a preventative manner. Since the goal of the sauna is to sweat out toxins, what you need to do is provide towels for people to sit on. Providing the towels helps to maintain the wood.
In most cases the infrared sauna is fully portable, which requires no installation, no ventilation, no water, and as a result very little maintenance. The traditional sauna heats the air, whereas far infrared heater heats only 20 percent of the air, this leaves 80 percent of the heat available to directly heat the occupants of the sauna. With the traditional sauna heating the air you may need to adjust the wooden door of the sauna due to swelling. This can happen because of the humidity.
If you are thinking of going out and buying a sauna for your home you need not worry about the possible maintenance involved. Saunas are one of the most carefree areas of your home.
By Paul Hegarty
Paul Hegarty is the owner of All-About-Saunas.com where you can additional information about the health benefits associated with saunas.
Learn more about sauna maintenance. Read about the far infrared sauna.
Leave a Reply