This post is guest blogged by Lou Manfredini, Ace Hardware’s “Helpful Hardware Man”.
Lawn and Garden Advice for the Winter
Taking some time to prepare your lawn and garden for winter, will pay off once the spring comes. I’m Lou Manfredini, Ace’s “Helpful Hardware Man” and here are some ways that you can protect your outdoor living space during the cold months.
- Give your lawn a good raking.
- Apply a winterizing fertilizer to promote root growth during the winter months.
- If you have any perennials or plants that are going to come back in the spring, be sure to cut them back.
- Some plants may need to be protected by the cold weather. If you have tulip or rose bushes, for example, it’s a good idea to cover them with 2 or 3 inches of mulch, which will protect them from the colder winter weather.
- If you have tall roses (roses with a height of 6 to 12 inches), cover their tops with styrofoam caps and cover the rest of the plant with mulch. It may look a little dorky but it will ensure that your roses will come back in the spring.
- Pruning in the fall will help promote root growth.
- If you’re in a colder climate and are going to be using ice-melting products, avoid using products such as rock salt, which can be harmful to the vegetation. Choose instead a blend of melting agents such as potassium chloride and calcium chloride, which is milder and can cause less damage to your landscaping.
About the Author
Lou Manfredini is Ace Hardware’s “Helpful Hardware Man”.
Leave a Reply