Spring is the time of preparing for summer, repairing damage done in winter, and with a sense of renewal, give new sparks and sparkles to tools and equipment year-long in use.
May Home Maintenance Projects
These projects that are ideally undertaken in or around May:
1. Check furnace filter. Clean or replace if necessary. Do furnace or central air-conditioner maintenance recommended by he unit’s manufacturer.
2. Clean and prepare swimming pool, pond and fountain.
3. Repair cracks in driveways, walkways and sidewalks.
4. Check weather vent screens to attic or crawl space are damaged. Repair or replace as needed.
5. Remove accumulated mineral deposits from shower heads and aerators by soaking or scrubbing with white vinegar.
6. Inspect and service clothes dryer, cook top or stove, dishwasher, trash compactor, counter-top appliances, exhaust fans, etc. according to the manufacturers’ recommendations.
Monthly Maintenance Projects
These projects should be undertaken every month, or at least every few months:
1. Test and inspect smoke, heat and gas detectors.
2. Practice family fire-escape plan and review earthquake preparedness.
3. Inspect electrical cords for damage. Repair or replace if needed.
4. Be alert to safety hazards, such as cracked walkways, hazardous materials that aren’t properly stored, or unsecured heavy bookcases or other furniture that could topple during an earthquake.